viernes, 17 de junio de 2022

1973: El camaleón en la sombra de la noche con Peter Hammill

Contenido de esta entrada:

Introducción

Historia

Grabación del álbum

Lanzamiento del álbum

Enlaces, letras y opinión personal


Anterior entrada de Peter Hammill: 1971: El jaque mate de Peter Hammill



Portada del álbum Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night.


Enlaces interesantes sobre Peter Hammill y Van der Graaf Generator:





En un anterior artículo comentamos el cuarto álbum de Van der Graaf Generator,  Pawn Hearts, (1971: Corazones de peón con Van der Graaf Generator).

Portada del álbum Pawn Heart

Tras la publicación del álbum las giras regulares por Europa siguieron durante los siguientes cuatro meses, pero la tensión de la carga de trabajo se volvió demasiado para la banda, y se separaron en agosto de 1972.

En un anterior artículo comentamos los inicios de Peter Hammill y su primer álbum en solitario, Fool's Mate 1971: El jaque mate de Peter Hammill.

Portada del álbum Fool's Mate

Su arte fue caracterizado siempre por un gran espíritu de innovación y eclecticismo que ha servido como referencia de grandes bandas progresivas de la época. La poesía de Hammill, a veces oscura y excesivamente misteriosa, le ha valido críticas no siempre benévolas desde los medios y publicaciones especializadas, lo cual poco pareció importarle.

En este artículo comentamos su segundo álbum en solitario Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night  publicado en 1973.

Historia

Cuando Van der Graaf Generator se separó de nuevo en agosto de 1972, Hammill reanudó su carrera en solitario. Las canciones que estaban destinadas a Van der Graaf Generator ahora terminarán en sus álbumes en solitario, tales como "Black Room" de su segundo álbum Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night, el cual, como con muchos de los álbumes en solitario de Hammill de este período, otros ex miembros de Van der Graaf Generator actúan en el álbum. 

Su carrera como músico solista presenta un difuso límite entre sus creaciones personales y aquellas desarrolladas desde el grupo Van der Graaf Generator, pues su estilo inconfundible se hace presente tanto en uno como en otro ámbito, inclusive compartiendo frecuentemente sesiones de grabación con varios de los músicos integrantes de la banda. En general, el trabajo en solitario de Hammill se ocupa temáticamente de asuntos más personales, mientras que las canciones de la banda tratan temas más amplios.



Grabación del álbum


El álbum fue producido por John Anthony en Rockfield Studios, Gales, por primera vez utilizando partes pregrabadas hechas por Peter Hammill en su estudio casero en Worth. Para la mezcla final se utilizaron los entonces mucho mejor equipados Trident Studios.

El álbum cuenta con la participación de miembros de VdGG, Hugh Banton, Guy Evans, David Jackson y Nic Potter.

Algunas de las canciones ("German Overalls" y "In the End") se relacionan con la decisión de Van der Graaf Generator de separarse, después de una experiencia agotadora, desmoralizadora y pobre de ser una banda de rock de gira. Los compañeros de VdGGHugh Banton y David Jackson participan en "German Overalls"Andy Tillison de Parallel or 90 Degrees nombraría uno de sus álbumes "No More Travelling Chess", un verso de la canción In the End, como un tributo a Hammill.

Portada del álbum No more Travelling Chess


Hammill ha continuado interpretando "Easy to Slip Away" en concierto hasta el día de hoy. La canción hace referencia a su experiencia personal cuando perdió el contacto con sus compañeros de piso Mike y la actriz Susan Penhaligon (quienes también fueron nombrados en la canción de Van der Graaf Generator "Refugees").

El complejo y atmosférico "(In the) Black Room/The Tower" fue planeado originalmente para su inclusión en el álbum de Van der Graaf Generator que seguiría a Pawn Hearts, el cual que debido a la separación de la banda nunca llegó a materializarse. Pero la canción ya fue interpretada en el escenario por Van der Graaf Generator en 1972, y una grabación de ella de los ensayos de julio de 1972 (aunque en mala calidad de audio) se incluye en la compilación Time Vaults


Portada del álbum Time Vaults


La versión del álbum de Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night presenta a los ex miembros de Van der Graaf Generator, Banton, Jackson y Evans. Más tarde, cuando la banda se reformó en 1975 y 1976, "(In the) Black Room" fue nuevamente parte de su repertorio en vivo, y también durante su reunión de 2005.

Lanzamiento del álbum

El álbum fue lanzado en abril de 1973 con Charisma Records. En Estados Unidos no se publicaría hasta 1989 cuando se lanzó en CD.

La edición original estaba contenida en una carpeta desplegable. La portada fue diseñada por Paul Whitehead, que ya había diseñado la portada del primer álbum en solitario de Hammill, Fool's Mate y en ese momento era el artista de portada favorito de Van der Graaf Generator y de Genesis, otra  banda de Charisma.

La carpeta muestra fotos tomadas por Bettina Hohls en Hamburgo.

Fotografía de la portada


La contraportada del disco muestra una fotografía de Hammill jugando al ajedrez, lo que representa una continuidad con los álbumes anteriores, el suyo en solitario y el de VdGG.

Contraportada del álbum Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night 


En el interior de la carpeta se muestra una fotografía de Peter Hammill en un paisaje campestre.


El exterior de la carpeta muestra el signo astrológico de Peter Hammill, Escorpio, dos veces, como una pintura de un escorpión real y como parte de un logotipo personal que Hammill introdujo con este álbum y que aparecería en las portadas de muchos lanzamientos venideros.

Logotipo de Hammill basado en el simbolo astrológico de Escorpio.

Escorpión de la portada



Reediciones

En 2006 fue publicado en forma remasterizada por EMI Virgin Records, complementado con tres bonus tracks. Rain 3am es un tema inédito correspondiente a las sesiones de grabación del álbum. Los dos últimos fueron grabados en vivo en la Iglesia Unitaria All Souls, Kansas City, el 16 de febrero de 1978.


 
Recepción

La prensa musical del Reino Unido fue generalmente muy positiva sobre Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night
Con composiciones mucho más fuertes que las anteriores Fools Mate, Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night es considerado como uno de los mejores álbumes de Peter Hammill ... La producción del álbum es muy sencilla (casi sin ninguna mejora de estudio), lo que ayuda a resaltar la intensidad de los duros arreglos de Hammill. Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night podría entrar en la categoría de álbum conceptual, ya que el tema del envejecimiento parece repetirse en todas partes.
Greg Prato en AllMusic

Enlaces, letras y opinión personal



Enlace a la lista de reproducción del álbum: Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night

Lista de canciones

Cara 1
A1 German Overalls
A2 Slender Threads
A3 Rock And Rôle
A4 In The End

Cara 2
B1 What's It Worth
B2 Easy To Slip Away
B3 Dropping The Torch
(In The) Black Room
B4 In The Black Room (I)
B5 The Tower
B6 In The Black Room (II)





CARA A

A1 German Overalls

Enlaces




Letras

[Verse 1]
Mannheim: rainy Saturday with no money nor friend...
Only Tequila can end the boredom
Try to reach London for a pocket of hope;
We're children, we grope in the dark
Hugh spends his last Mark on coffee and cheese...
I feel just like a refugee...
Rathaus-keepers and traffic police
Middle-aged maids with rotting teeth
Industrial magazines and old Sunday Times:
Reading material/bleeding lines
What are we doing here?

[Verse 2]
Memorial menace, eager for revenge
Has begun to bend our minds (Our minds, our minds)
Shower-curtain imperative in the presence of acid;
Now, feeling placid is death
I try to hold my breath as the P.A. comes down...
Here we all are in Ktown!
The Big Wheel never fails to grind around...
It drags me up/it drugs me down
Seven senses wonder: 'Can this be real (Real)
Or am I become a performing seal?'
Why are we dying here?

[Bridge]
I walk the streets alone, try to find a sign of love
I've crushed the plaster-bone in the freaky clubs
I have bit the fruit
But all I live for is to play
And I'm tired of the nights and the days...

[Verse 3]
... Of airports, taxis and motorway showers
Groping for a key in the afterhours
David takes to travelling in the van
He knows that we all can understand:
We're at the mercy of the Kosmos tour
Making a pilgrimage to the German Lourdes...
But we're still crippled here
[Break]

[Interlude]
Cathedrals spiral skywards; I think I'm getting vertigo
I think I don't know what is real

[Verse 4]
One more sudden spotlight; one more madness is over;
I must not show a sign of fear
Words echo round my ears, I think I'm going to laugh...
Think I'll just go and take a bath, I guess I'll wash my clothes
And don't you know I'll grow to go and make my name
Maybe be a servant in the Famegame;
Stake my sane and rest my life on the line...
Now lay me asunder and rend my mind;
At the fall of the curtain let this be my ghost

Videos




Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Canción melancólica sobre lo duro de las giras que causaron la separación de VdGG



A2 Slender Threads

Enlaces



Letras

[Verse 1]
I saw your picture in the Evening Standard
You were wearing your battle dress
Oh, well, I really must confess
That I shed a silent smile for you--
It had really blown my mind
And I wonder, are you still so kind?
Are you still so pure?
There are other rhymes around here somewhere
But I'm not too sure how they fit...

[Verse 2]
Oh, Jenny, penny for your thoughts
I wonder how you're thinking now;
I hesitate to visualise;
Our worlds are much too different
That's a sign of the times
But time was when I read your cards
And wrote the numbers while you were in the dust;
I can't remember what they were but, anyhow
I missed the cusp
So, so long, and so, goodbye
Do you think I'd recognise you by your hair or by your mind now?

[Bridge]
Well, we start out together
But the paths all divide;
When there are no more crossroads
I open my eyes
And find I'm walking on alone
Through the snowy cold...
Yes, and I wonder if I'll make it through the night?

[Verse 3]
I'm an author and an actor too;
You're a model in the zoo...
I'm just thinking on which side of the bars am I looking through
If I prophesied an avalanche
Would you wait and call my bluff?
If I gave you just a little song
Would that be enough to save your life
Or is the knife already turning in my hand?


Videos

Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Otra canción melancólica, esta vez recordando a una chica. Fuertes rasgueos de guitarra que recuerdan al Bowie de sus comienzos.



A3 Rock And Rôle

Enlaces




Letras

[Verse 1]
Watch for the silent moment, only waiting to be saved
Wait for the Liemaker; he comes again
And sinks his barbs through honesty;
Roll him over with all possible speed!
Don't let him touch you with the candle of his need
Or let him be, hysterically ravaging your grave

[Verse 2]
You are emotion picture, re-run at single frame
You are the instant playback, no chance to change;
Smile and smile, living diary!
Roll you over before it's too late:
Before you're exposed to the monochrome phase...
Which can relate only fear and hate through the haze

[Instrumental/Saxophone Solo]

[Verse 3]
I am the automated arrow, homing on the heat of pain;
I am the Peacebringer... It is so strange
I feed on grief and I grieve through joy
So roll me over and turn aside;
Don't let me look into the mirror of your eyes
For fear that I may steel the life you gradly gave

[Instrumental Outro]


Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Canción rockera con la participación del resto de compañeros de VdGG. Buen trabajo del saxo. Una de las mejores del álbum.


A4 In The End

Enlaces




Letras

[Instrumental Intro]

[Verse 1]
I promise you, I won't leave a clue:
No tell-tale remark, no print from my shoe
Still, a steady trail to the water's edge...
I will keep my pledge to the end:
I intend to go free

[Verse 2]
No more rushing around, no more travelling chess;
Guess I'd better sit down, you know I do need the rest...
Yes, it's time to resign with equanimity and placidity
From the game
I can't explain;
I can't relate...
I done it all too late?
[Break]

[Verse 3]
Now is the time for the commission to report;
Till lately, I thought I'd been planted
Trying hard to make it all come real
Permission to feel is ungranted
But now it's happening I'd like to keep it private if I can;
Last words, last looks, make a final stand
Now my number's come up on the Pools
I guess I'll board the Titanic for a cruise...

[Verse 4]
This is the time to make my status clear
Too late, I fear, and lonely
As friends and enemies traverse the stage;
All in a rage disown me
And all the pit-props shatter into dust about my ears:
Memory and conscience, hope and fear
As I crawl out further on the limb
Something tells me I am crawling
In to unknown prophecies and lives
The rainbow's end is hemmed around with knives...

[Break]
[Verse 5]
As I stand on the boards and the stage lights grow dim
Shall I go out of doors, or shall I maybe go in?
I reached the point when I should take my cue
And follow you and your signs?
I can't remember my lines
As the prompter cat-calls
And the cards all fall
In the strike

[Verse 6]
All the pages are thin, all the corners are curled
Does the starshine fall in through my window on the world?
Or am I living out (the seeds of doubt) a chronicle of revenge?
The willow bends
As do my hands;
Do you understand?
And will you still be my friend in the end?

[Outro]
When my mouth falls slack
And I can't summon up another tune
Shall I then look back and say
I did it all
Too soon?

Videos




Mi opinión sobre la canción:

La otra canción dedicada a la separación de VdGG debido a la dureza de la giras. Canción melancólica al piano.




CARA B


B1 What's It Worth

Enlaces



Letras

[Verse 1]
What's it worth to be safe?
What's the way to be sane?
I could throw myself at the garden
On my hands
Prune the lawn and mow the roses
But I never really understand
How to go
To be free;
In the end I only want to be me

[Verse 2]
Winter days here are mine;
Still, no bites... What's my line?
I could hurl myself to the bonfire
With all verve
Clear the path and weed the dead leaves
But I really just don't have the nerve
To be part
Of that scene...
Is this just some kind of strange dream?

[Bridge]
So I'll walk to the steeple, where the people are so inquisitive
I could make it to the corner store and buy a hoard of derivatives now

[Verse 3]
Which way now... Climb or coast?
Will my eggs ever poach?
I could hold myself in the frying pan
For the sake of my name;
Hit the road or smile hermetically
But it's really never quite the same:
And every time there's a subtle twist
I guess I'll grab my plot
And simply exist
[Outro]
Or would that be
A subtle slash at my wrists?

Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Canción lenta con Hammill rasgueando la guitarra. Otra estilo Bowie.


B2 Easy To Slip Away

Enlaces



Letras

[Verse 1]
My friends, I never really thought you'd go
But, then, we know that's the way it happens here
Now time is like cat's cradle in my hands:
And I gather up the strands much too slowly

[Verse 2]
The refugees are gone... They take their separate paths
Obliterate the past, figures in an ash shroud
Susie, I guess you're on your way to be a star
But I don't know where you are;
The only time I seem to see you is on the TV

[Chorus]
Yes, it's so easy just to slip away...

[Bridge]
And Mike!
It's a year or two since I've seen you...
I might have dropped you a line
If I'd had time
Or the will

[Instrumental]

[Verse 3]
It's my fault too: I play a hermit's role
Of cars and stages, wages, supersoul
Hardly ever seem to get outside these days
And so, dear friends, as we grow on we feel to grow away
Can only live in the hope that some day it will all return

[Chorus]
But it's so easy to slip away...
Easy to slip away...


Videos



Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Otra canción melancólica al piano, esta vez referido a perder los amigos con el paso de los años.


B3 Dropping the Torch

Enlaces




Letras

[Verse 1]
We play games and every move
Is noted down as a subsequent cause
And effectively chains our freedom and will to live;
We settle in to simple survival
Hanging on our pleasures grimly...
We must never let them go

[Verse 2]
Our prison walls are slowly built
Stone by stone and day by day;
No provision for escape
Entombed alive in safety
And decay

[Bridge]
Time sets around us in killing frames
Black border round our names
Our fingers lose their grip
And the torch slips

[Verse 3]
The enemy for everyone
Is everyone, inside
I feel the hand of security
Creep on me with ice-cold fingers
And crush my flower of freedom;
I've lost the course of my adventure
All the things I'd meant to do are lost

[Bridge]
There is only one flame each
To keep alive in the wind
But finally we snuff them out
All by ourselves

[Verse 4]
We set traps and, in the end
Fall into our own snares
And have nowhere to go
Time ever moves more slowly;
Life gets more lonely
And less real


Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Otra canción melancólica a la guitarra acústica.


B4 (In the) Black Room/The Tower

Enlaces



Letras

[In the Black Room (I)]

[Verse 1]
I was thinking about thinking
But it really didn't get me very far
So I thought I'd throw a Tarot
But I only got the Priestess and the Star
There's a shadow cast between the future and the past;
The room and I agree to buy some time...
The cards don't tell truth nor lies
Only options and cusp lines:
The furniture in the black room

[Verse 2]
I've been thinking about acid
But, it seems, there's not a reason to believe
I don't make a vital breakthrough
And it walks me like a dog upon a lead
It's all unreal and, the way I feel
I'd like to try and make it on my own...
Going to the feelies is fine:
I really have me a good pleasure cruise
But, deep in my mind
I'm no better or worse, just open to the walls
Paint peels in the black of my room

[Bridge]
I'm only talking about myself, ordering the treasure shelf
Documenting present feelings as the future sets me reeling...
What I'll be is what I am
I'm simply trying not to sham or fake
Use vision as sense and not as crutch!
It doesn't matter all that much;
In the end we'll all survive
I'm only trying not to pawn my life

[Break]

[Verse 3]
When I'm (Maybe) old and strait-laced
Shall I then deny all that I feel?
In words of bitter compromise
Re-smelt the wrath that's in my eyes like steel?
Be a hermit then?
Or be a miser?
Be a man who hasn't managed yet to write his rules?
The Fool?
The future holds my hand in the room...
[Instrumental]

[Segue]
Well, then, my ghosts shall steer down through the years
And lay a hand upon my soul
Like ice

[The Tower]

[Intro]
So: onto the familiar top steps!
In cloud-scud moonlight glow
The Tower reels
And I, the blind man
Feeling for a path I know...
Don't you know that I'm only feeling for how to feel?

[Instrumental]

[Verse 4]
Rats run!
Snakes coil!
Fathers
Stare out at the whispering night;
Rub mud on their arms
[Verse 5]
Spiders!
Mud boils!
Children
Whimper in the human vortex;
Faces glow of worms

[Verse 6]
THUNDER!
Silence
Omens...

[Bridge]
I think it's coming
All signs are very near, all signs are that
More pain shall come
And change shall run
Down through my heart
And shake my knees
And now it is coming
All around is the humming
Of the World

[Segue]
Too late, with my balance gone
Dead-eyed doll
I'm falling, falling
Back to where I began...

[In the Black Room (II)]

[Verse 7]
I'm feeling like a kid again
I'm feeling like I just walked in the door
And with my head on fire
I wrote this song - I don't know who it's for
Hands held fast in camera
I'll swear I heard the Stammerer exclaim:
"I am a traveller, unraveller
I only live through pain, and shame, and change!"

[Bridge]
In my room, the secret tomb, I can see
Future forms, space/time storms:
They're all me
And I've only got to choose!

[Outro]
In my head I am dead if I fall
In the trap
The subtle lap
Safety's pall...
But I'm living while I choose...

Videos



Mi opinión sobre la canción:

Suite de rock progresivo clásica de VdGG. De hecho ya la tocaban en directo en 1972. Lo mejor del álbum.


Mi opinión personal sobre el álbum:

Un álbum más íntimo con guitarra acústica y piano. Un material diferente del que hacía VdGG por aquel entonces. Mucha melancolía por la separación de la banda y por los amigos que se pierden con el transcurso de los años.


Créditos

Peter Hammill – voz, guitarras acústicas y eléctricas (1-3, 5, 7), piano (3, 4, 6, 8), Mellotron (6) "tesseraschizoid warbling... un vuelo de mellotrones y algo de armonio gótico"

Hugh Banton – Órgano Hammond (8) "Bomber, banshee, órgano y piano saltarín, bajo de pie y mano, el Rack"

Guy Evans – batería, platillos (3, 8) "The Thundering Horseman of the Darkest Dawn"

David Jackson – saxofón tenor y alto acústico y eléctrico, flauta (1, 3, 5, 6, 8) "gritos en la noche y cascadas heladas"

Nic Potter – bajo (3, 6) "y Cortina"

Técnico

John Anthony – productor

Peter Hammill - ingeniero de grabación (Sofa Sound, Sussex)

Pat Moran, Ralph Down – ingenieros de grabación (Rockfield Studios, Monmouth)

David Hentschel – mezcla (Trident Studios, Londres)

Paul Whitehead – obra de arte

John Pasche - dirección de arte

Bettina Hohls – fotografía

Pat Moran



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Aparte de poder hacer cualquier comentario puedes valorar una canción o el álbum completo.

1976: Plantasía de la Madre Tierra

Contenido de esta entrada: Introducción El álbum Mother Earth's Plantasia Portada del álbum  Mother Earth's Plantasia Introducción E...